There are two usual ways to reach Kazan: by train and by airplane. It is possible to reach Kazan by plane directly escaping the stop in Moscow. Direct flights to Kazan are run by Air Arabia, Air Astana, Czech airlines, Finn Air, Fly Dubai, Turkish Airlines and Uzbekistan airways.
From Kazan airport to Kazan
Bus No. leaves from the airport to the bus station in the center of Kazan five times daily and takes between 60-90 minutes depending on traffic. Tickets cost 30 RUR. A taxi to the center will cost $20-$30.
From Moscow to Kazan
Or you can arrive to Moscow and change the flight to Kazan. The other option is to go to Kazan by train from Moscow, Kazanskiy railway station («Komsomolskaya» subway station). There are three major international airports in Moscow: Sheremetyevo, Domodedovo and Vnukovo (Lufthansa, Turkish, Fly Dubai, Syrian Air etc.). If you come from abroad you will arrive either to Sheremetyevo 2 international airport (all major international airlines and Aeroflot) or to Domodedovo international airport (Swiss Airlines, AirMalta, British Airways, Emirates, El Al, China Eastern, Singapore Airlines, Thai Airways and most of the Central Asian airlines, plus most domestic airlines, except Aeroflot). The flights to Kazan from Moscow are usually served by Domodedovo airport. But there are flights from Sheremetovo and Vnukovo as well.
Sheremetyevo international airport
Phone: +7 (495) 578-65-65, 956-46-66, +7 (925) 100-65-65.
Inside the airport: There’s a very neat and nice post office opened 24 hours in Arrivals zone (2nd floor), where among other things you can browse the internet for some fee, use a printer, and charge your mobile phone. There are free wi-fi zones in the airport.
There’s a bar and a good grocery store in the Arrivals area, both opened 24 hours. A few restaurants and bars are scattered in the departures area (after the check-in counters). The popular ones are Subway, Burger King, Costa Coffee, Il Patio. The Irish bar is the favorite among transit passengers. If you end up waiting for your flight, it’s better to go to one of these places (by the way, you can plug in your laptop there). The departure and arrival area outside of the check-in area have a few 24-hour food and souvenirs shops, pharmacy, cafes (a meal for about $10, drink — $2-$5), bank and exchange offices.
It will take you about 30-40 minutes to pass the passport and customs control and to get your luggage.
From Sheremetyevo airport to Moscow
The airport is located about 15 km to the north outside of Moscow, 5km to the right from Moscow — St Petersburg highway. You have three choices how to reach Moscow city from Sheremetyevo-2 airport: by train-express, by bus or by taxi.
- By train (aeroexpress). It is the best, shortest and cheapest way. There is a station of train-express near Sheremetyevo-2 (in 100- 150 meters). You will find the directions to the station inside the airport. The train delivers you to Sheremetyevo-2 to Belorussky and Savyolovsky railway stations. Trains run from 5:00 am to 12:30 am daily. The trip takes 30-35 minutes. The price for one-person trip is 340 RUR.
- By bus. The bus station is easy to find — it is near the exit of airport. The bus delivers you to the last station of underground «Rechnoy Vokzal». There you need to continue your trip by underground. Bus #851 and #949 go from Sheremetyevo to the metro station Rechnoy Vokzal and back to Sheremetyevo 2. Ticket charge is 30-70 RUR, you can buy your tickets on board the buses but it will cost around 100 RUR.
- By taxi. There a lot of taxies in front of airport. Taxis to Moscow are available day and night at the arrival level of terminal 2 and in front of terminal 1. You can book a taxi online on www.transparking.ru or call on +7 (964) 588 88 80.
More information on http://svo.aero/en/
Domodedovo international airport
Phone: +7 (495) 578-65-65, 956-46-66, +7 (925) 100-65-65.
Inside the airport: There’s a post office on the 2nd floor, where you can send mails, fax, telegram and parcel. There is a MegaFon internet center located on the 2nd floor, where you can check and send emails, print/scan/copy documents and copy data to a storage device. It charges 250 RUR per hour. There are free wi-fi zones in the airport. Payphones for local, long distance and international calls can be found around the terminals.
There is a good grocery, footwear, accessory, perfumery store on the first and second floor. Most of them are open 24 hours. Plenty of cafes, restaurants and bars are scattered in the terminal. Outlets for charging laptops and mobile phones can be found throughout the terminal. The departure and arrival area outside of the check-in area have a few 24-hour food and souvenirs shops, pharmacy, cafes (a meal for about $10, drink — $2-$5), bank and exchange offices.
It will take you about 20-30 minutes to pass the passport and customs control and to get your luggage.
From Domodedovo Airport to Moscow
You can choose the most convenient for you mode of transport among the following key options:
- Aeroexpress train is a comfortable high-speed train that goes the airport to Moscow, Paveletsky station. Time of journey: 40-50 minutes. A ride on aeroexpress trains will cost you 340 RUR.
- Commuter train.This train goes from airport to Moscow, Paveletsky station, with all stops en route. Time of journey: 1 hour 10 minutes.
- Express Buses. Modern Scania, Man, Mercedes. Busses go non-stop from Domodedovo airport to «Domodedovskaya» subway station. Timetable: from 06:00 to 00:00. Time of journey: 25-30 minutes. Departure time: every 15 minutes.
- Shuttles.Mini buses go from airport to the «Domodedovskaya» underground station round the clock. Timetable: from 06:00 to 00:00. Time of journey: 25-30 minutes. Departure time: every 15 minutes. Nighttime schedule (from 00:00 to 06:00).
More information on www.domodedovo.ru/en/
Flights from Moscow to Kazan
There are regular daily flights from Moscow to Kazan. Airlines that serve Kazan include Aeroflot, Siberia Airlines (S7 airlines) and Akbars aero. S&is by far the cheapest offering flights for as little as 4500 RUR one way or 8500 RUR return. Central Asian and Caucasian locations are also serviced directly.
Trains from Moscow to Kazan
Trains directed to Kazan depart from Kazanskiy Railway Station. It is located in the centre of Moscow, on «Komsomolskaya» subway station which is on circular line. From Moscow the best train to take is the direct train 002 (Tatarstan express), which takes 10.5 hours and costs about 1700 RUR for 2nd class and 3000 RUR for compartments. The 050 takes 12 hours but is equally acceptable and the prices are about the same. The trains from Moscow that continue on to places like Ekaterinburg, Omsk or Tumen are usually a little bit cheaper but are slower and not as nice.
You can book the ticket on http://pass.rzd.ru/main-pass/public/en